Monday, November 15, 2010

Soonly-sight... nearly-sighted... mostly-sighted... fearly-sight?

So we talked about looking backwards, and coined the term "hinder-sight." So it is only fair to put some brain juice to looking forwards as well (especially since we got the request!). In this case I started to ponder what is the hang up on future plans? In my thinking it's expectation and assumption.

We generally just automatically feel that any plan we put into action should result in the desired goal. Now having confidence is one thing, but what is the guarantee? On what timeline are we working? Sure, saying "I'm going to the store to buy something" can be followed with a reasonable expectation that we get there, buy, and get home. But what do we always notice when the news headlines come up? Someone is saying "I never thought it could happen to me/him/her/them." That's just the standard remark when that random accident happens, or that house burns down, etc.

We certainly don't plan for disaster, even as a contingency. Although we do "prepare" if you noticed. Somehow preparing says "just in case" with no particular expectation. But to plan for a disaster/accident seems contrary to rational thought and I'm sure most people would simply say you're nuts. But really, when you get right down to it, get past any delusions about the unexpected, it's all possible to occur. So if we're going to plan to do something it seems like you ought to accept that it doesn't happen just as easily as it does. Of course don't get me wrong here, this is not about pessimism, nor about nihilism. Truthfulness and realism are their own things. And in my version of things this kind of reality check to our "plans" ought to actually make our experiences more enjoyable when they're good, and more tolerable when they're not.

So that's why the titles. We're trying to look just past a horizon that is all but indefineable. So though we craft plans, we put ideas into action, intend to achieve, there are so many variables that come into play. We've shaped things as "nearly" as we can to our ideas; we expect them to happen just as soon as... or "soonly"; we're "mostly" certain that things will go our way; but deep down we are often afraid that things won't and we try to not own up to that fear, or worse be paralyzed by it. So we have fearly-sight into the future.

What's that you say? If you just set your mind to it you can do anything? Often that is true. But often not. Plus having talent is not an automatic indicator of success. BELIEVE ME... that can be very painfully true. I think about it each time I see Stevie at the beach showers. Handsome and jovial guy from Micronesia, living in his wheelchair (I know, not the usual homeless vehicle but it works) having lost part of his left leg to diabetes, talking story with me while making gorgeous coconut frond hats and baskets. I'm pretty certain most of this wasn't in his early plans.

By the way, Stevie thinks I must be a cop because I'm too well spoken to be homeless. I showed him photos on my phone of some art that I made. His suggestion? Make a spread on the Waikiki sidewalk and make a killing. How to explain to him that the works I showed him were like 8 ft high, or 16 ft wide??? In any case he's a sweet guy and I wish him luck.

No comments: